Saturday, September 8, 2012

MT. PINATUBO: A thousand steps and more!


Thanks to the popularity of websites offering various deals, we got the idea of doing this. None of us tried trekking before, so perhaps it just made us all more excited of the tour, which we got at 50% off. Being another first, we were all (at least I thought all) pretty excited about it. Not to forget that it was also our (my officemates, old and new, and I) formal trip for the year - the previous years being, CDO-Bukidnon and Iloilo-Guimaras.

"Grabe!" It was a common expression. Or rather, just an overused word during and more particularly after a whole day trek in Mt. Pinatubo.

Grabe, exciting!!!
I knew that Pinatubo has once brought destruction and devastation to the surrounding lands and its people but whatever past it has, it had certainly bounced back to being now, one of the top tourist destinations in the country. I am not a hiking or trekking enthusiast but I entertain adventures. I was still passionate about the journey and seeing the magnificence of what awaits in the summit.  And besides, I was wondering how it looks like in person and, would my eyes also be glued to the real thing the same way mere pictures of it did (with what photography and adobes can do, who knows...)?

Our tour's starting point is at the tourism center in Sta. Juliana, Capas, Tarlac where various 4x4s (one of which took us to the jump off point for trekking) line in the narrow road. We had a an hour and a half of 4x4 ride. It was rough and rugged. But I actually thought, the ride itself was more than enough. It was an adventure in its own. Impressing how you'd still see greenery in a dessert formed by what remained from the hot, burning lava which a few years back, passed in that same route we took.


The first sights were lush greenery...mountains, only in the background.


We later took and soon get used to the ups and downs of a rough ride.

We were delighted being given a quick stopover to take pictures like this.

Passing through hills like these, made me wonder how strong the lava flow must have been to cut them.

The 4x4s were big help. By the time we jumped off them...it meant - trekking starts.
Grabe ang layo!!!
We started enjoying our first steps especially because we were crossing streams. The cool waters, (and sometimes its slightly strong currents) were relaxing to the nerves. The first thirty minutes, I must say, was playful. I saw how everybody seem to enjoy the walk and all the new and unusual sights that surround us. The next hour, talk was getting less, pace was getting slow. I could remember some talking only to ask how far more are we going...(I remembered asking that myself).

We passed by dry, arid plains. We climbed steep lands, and walked down. We hopped on brooks. Passed through or by the streams. That one hour and a half of walking on barren lands and under the heat of the sun  almost took my patience. What little physical strength left was being pushed only by the thought of heavens at the summit. If I was only the athletic type, it could have been more easy...but just the same, I (we) conquered it.


This is one of the many more streams and brooks we crossed, some on our own; but often, assisted.
Walls like these are a constant attraction.

Again, stream. Seldom do we experience shades so we take advantage once we can.
Some walks are on steeper lands.
Most often, on plain grounds.
 Huh? Grabe naman!!!
When we reached that little haven after almost two hours, relief! The point was a resting place where ther's clean natural waters for drinking and where there's restroom! Yes! In the middle of it all. We thought it was already over by that time, expecting for just a few more steps and thinking that maybe behind those greenery, our price awaits; but  no! The real trekking will just start from where we were...We learned later that we'll take another 30-40 minute ascent. We never realized what we were doing the last 2 hours was just plain walking...argh! 

We walked through narrow trails between bushes, plants, weeds and trees that gave us enough covers from the still scorching heat of the sun. That trail I enjoyed though. But while we were climbing up, I could feel my weight getting heavier. It was more physically demanding, I realized. 
We challenged ourselves.



I almost wanted to use my hands to drink them.
Almost near. The second part of our ascent.

Rocks, we passed by many of them.
Ang galing, grabe!!!
I could only exclaim, "woooooow!!! This erupted before? How did a natural beauty be a born destruction in the inside" I felt sudden peace and calm. As if all the exhaustion and fatigue was drained by the sight. It seemed at some sort, to have brought back the same energy I had when we were still starting. (Okay, but honestly, after all the buzz...I would again feel my tired legs)

From the top, the scenic view left us all in awe. We were in the mouth of Mt. Pinatubo! I then knew, nature never fails to have ways to amaze us. That crater lake is really something. The water is green from our view and they say it cool on one side, and warm on the other. I envied those on boats that time. We weren't prepared for that budget and the others were already tired. And because the sun was still up and burning, we were also hesitant to do the boat ride (I must say...I could have tried to complete the experience). 

This welcomed us at the summit. A blessing of sort.
Many signs like this are great picture accents.

Peace. There was peace in laying eyes on the lake.

Calm. It was calming as well.

Wow grabe!!!
Going down the crater itself was another story. It was as tiring but it's worthwhile just the same. There were campers and a few who were swimming, which is not encouraged but some still take risks. It seemed enjoyable (to swim, not to break rules), but then again, we weren't prepared for that so we only took a few shots and went back.

Campers are actually allowed. Additional fees though for overnight stays.
Four of the brave souls. It was an envy to watch them.
Last drop of energy for this jump shot...and it didn't fail us.

Grabe to, last na!
Back to the summit, we took around a hundred and more up...we were already dragging our feet (which was hard to do)...and so a break really helped before we journeyed back.

We had to rest our tired feet. It helped that we wore comfortable sandals like these.
Aaaaah. Rest.
This is one of the last I took. Both I and my camera have no battery left during that yet another 2 hours (and more) descent.
Grabe talaga!!!

It was one experience I could do again but not in the near future. Haha. Again, because perhaps, we weren't really the outdoor people. I think I should do this (trekking/ hiking) often. It's another story I'd be proud to share though...and perhaps next time, it would be more fun than more tiring...maybe by then I (we) have had more warm ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggested Reads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...